28. May 2013 02:29
With mobile devices accounting for a major and growing percentage of website visitors, it is becoming necessary for business owners to think of ways to make their websites suitable for these devices. Right from the iPhone to Android and iPads, there is a huge market to cater to when it comes to mobile users of websites. If you are ready to make the big switch, and introduce your website to the league of responsive websites, discussed below are a few key elements of website design that are worth bearing in mind.
The three principle challenges while designing a website for smart phones are- screen resolution, screen view (portrait/ landscape), and flash support. Responsive web design provides a ready solution structured around these challenges, by creating a website that responds to user behavior. The key element of such a website design are-
- Flexible grids and layouts- This ensures that the various elements of a website design fluidly adjust depending on the resolution of the screen they are being viewed on.
- Flexible images- These enable viewing smaller versions of the same images on smaller screens.
- CSS3 media queries- These decide whether or not to display certain elements depending on the display device being used.
The major benefits of creating a responsive web design for your website are-
- You do not need to spend money on creating multiple versions of your website.
- Your web design is future-ready, as it shall be compatible with any new smart phones or mobile devices introduced in the market.
- Users shall have a positive experience of visiting your website irrespective of the device they use.
Some useful tips that can help to make your website smart phone ready include-
- Try to adopt the design of native smart phone applications, such as action buttons, and back buttons in your web design.
- Set the “viewport” default to “zoom” for modern smart phones, to ensure that visitors to your website experience maximum text clarity with a 200% increase in readability.
- Integrate your mobile web content with native apps like mail, maps, YouTube, phone etc. for an enhanced user experience.
- Ensure enough space between all clickable elements on your mobile website, to make them easily “tappable”.
- Be clear about what most smart phones support and what they do not, when attempting to embed media into your website.
We at Centex Technologies provide Web Development & SEO Services in Dallas TX. For mobile friendly website design, contact us at Dallas TX office - (972) 375-9654.
17. May 2013 02:23
Effective computer networking can help to streamline things at the workplace, improving connectivity between different computer systems, while also boosting efficiency through shared auxiliaries such as printers, fax machines, scanners etc. Such a network can either be wireless or wired, depending on various factors such as the number of computers, the budget, and the type of networking desired. The following tips guide you on how to plan both wireless and wired computer networks for your office-
- Ensure that the wireless router is placed at a location that is central to all the wireless users. This reduces the chances of broken range, as well as external attacks.
- It is a good idea to change the password of the router immediately when you receive it, since the preset passwords, are usually predictable and easy to guess for hackers.
- When it comes to a wireless network, it is increasingly important to protect your network using a complex encryption code. This code must be entered on all computers in the network, to ensure limited user access to the internet service as well as company data.
- In case of a wireless network with a large number of computers, you might need to extend the signal of the router using a network cable that connects additional computers to access points around the office.
- When choosing between wireless and wired networks, remember that the connectivity of the latter is a lot better in terms of signal strength. However, wireless networks are the preferred option where workstations need to be set up in places where cable connectivity is not possible.
- When installing cable routing, pay special attention to the proximity of these cables to other wires and cables in office.
- Think ahead while planning network topography in a wired network. Also remember to keep the number of switches to each user minimal, to maximize network efficiency.
- It is a good idea to have a centralized backup server to which each computer is periodically updated.
- Before installing a router for your wired network, you should ask your provider if it supports VoIP. With the increasing popularity of this business phone system, you want to be able to install it at any point that you wish to.
Centex Technologies is a leading IT Support and Computer Networking Company providing computer network installation and support services to its clients across Central Texas including Dallas and Killeen.