28. May 2013 02:29
With mobile devices accounting for a major and growing percentage of website visitors, it is becoming necessary for business owners to think of ways to make their websites suitable for these devices. Right from the iPhone to Android and iPads, there is a huge market to cater to when it comes to mobile users of websites. If you are ready to make the big switch, and introduce your website to the league of responsive websites, discussed below are a few key elements of website design that are worth bearing in mind.
The three principle challenges while designing a website for smart phones are- screen resolution, screen view (portrait/ landscape), and flash support. Responsive web design provides a ready solution structured around these challenges, by creating a website that responds to user behavior. The key element of such a website design are-
- Flexible grids and layouts- This ensures that the various elements of a website design fluidly adjust depending on the resolution of the screen they are being viewed on.
- Flexible images- These enable viewing smaller versions of the same images on smaller screens.
- CSS3 media queries- These decide whether or not to display certain elements depending on the display device being used.
The major benefits of creating a responsive web design for your website are-
- You do not need to spend money on creating multiple versions of your website.
- Your web design is future-ready, as it shall be compatible with any new smart phones or mobile devices introduced in the market.
- Users shall have a positive experience of visiting your website irrespective of the device they use.
Some useful tips that can help to make your website smart phone ready include-
- Try to adopt the design of native smart phone applications, such as action buttons, and back buttons in your web design.
- Set the “viewport” default to “zoom” for modern smart phones, to ensure that visitors to your website experience maximum text clarity with a 200% increase in readability.
- Integrate your mobile web content with native apps like mail, maps, YouTube, phone etc. for an enhanced user experience.
- Ensure enough space between all clickable elements on your mobile website, to make them easily “tappable”.
- Be clear about what most smart phones support and what they do not, when attempting to embed media into your website.
We at Centex Technologies provide Web Development & SEO Services in Dallas TX. For mobile friendly website design, contact us at Dallas TX office - (972) 375-9654.