Given here are some common mistakes that must be avoided while developing web applications:
- Incomplete Input Validation: Validating user input on both the client side and server side is a must to keep your application protected against hacking attacks. Some of the most common consequences of an inconsistent input validation are buffer overflow, remote file inclusion, SQL injection and cross-site scripting attacks. Though implementing validation can be time consuming, it will help to set clear standards for the type of data your application should accept as well as its minimum and maximum length.
- Injection Flaws: These may be a result of failing to filter unreliable input. When any form of unfiltered data is passed to the browser, SQL or LDAP server, the hacker can easily inject malicious codes into these elements, leading to a security breach. To prevent this, all the data received by an application must be from credible sources and should be filtered.
- Storing Passwords In Plain Text: Failing to secure user login credentials is another common mistake made by web application developers. User names and passwords should never be stored in plain text. Rather, they should be properly encrypted and stored in a secure database that is accessible to only a restricted number of employees.
- Cross Browser Incompatibility: Many web developers use only one web browser during the development phase and fail to test its compatibility with other browsers. Though cross-browser testing at every stage of development can be time consuming, you can fix this issue by switching to a different browser after every few days. You should avoid using a browser specific code as well as statistics to justify not supporting any particular browser.
- Not developing for different screen sizes: Developing responsive web applications has become the need of the hour. Increase in the number of smartphone and tablet users have transformed the way of accessing online content. Hence, in order to ensure an easy access to content and seamless navigation, developers should make sure to optimize the apps for different screen sizes.
We, at Centex Technologies, provide complete web development services to the business firms in Dallas, TX. For more information, feel free to call us at (972) 375 – 9654.
15. December 2015 23:48
Web design trends keep on changing and it is important for the businesses to implement the best practices to stay a step ahead of their competitors. Though most of the web design trends have been present for many years, owing to their user-friendly approach, a lot of changes are expected to come about in the New Year that will bring a touch of innovation.
Here are some of the web design tends that businesses must follow in 2016:
- Responsive Design: With Google’s algorithm update, responsive websites had become more of a necessity in 2015. With people constantly switching to tablets and smartphones to access websites, having a responsive web design is the key to a successful business. It is a simple and cost-effective way to create websites that can automatically adjust to any screen size. The web design trend will continue to stay for quite a longer time.
- Long Scrolling: This technique is also targeted towards the convenience of mobile users in which they have to simply scroll down to explore a business’ products or services rather than visiting different web pages. Long scrolling design is specifically beneficial for businesses that want to embed a storytelling approach in their website.
- Video Backgrounds: Using a video or an animated background can add to a website’s visibility. When executed in the right manner, it can compel the visitors to actually pause and explore other pages of your website as well. Displaying a gently moving video as a full page background with overlaying headlines and buttons can add a sense of vitality to your website.
- Material Design: With the introduction of Google’s new style language, Material Design, businesses can now implement the principles of a good website design along with the innovations of technology. It allows you to create a simple website design, making the use of shadow effect to give depth to certain elements.
- The Hamburger Menu: This UI pattern is more valuable for mobile websites and looks quite appealing. By hiding the entire navigation under the hamburger menu, the website looks cleaner and more organized. However, this web design technique may not work efficiently for all types of websites as it reduces the discoverability of menu.
- Simplicity: Simplicity is probably the one of the most important elements of a good website design. You should not have any unnecessary elements on your home page and the call-to-actions should be clearly visible as well as strategically placed above the fold.
We, at Centex Technologies, provide comprehensive web design solutions to the business firms in Dallas, TX. For more information, you can call us at (972) 375 – 9654.