Cloud computing is a technique that is rapidly gaining popularity with SMEs, with an estimated $100 billion predicted to be spent on cloud computing services by 2014. Put simply, cloud applications are software apps that are based on the internet, as opposed to conventional applications that users would access through software downloaded or installed on to their computers. Cloud applications extend from software like Google Apps, Salesforce, etc., which are basically service providers, to everyday applications of common use, like Microsoft Office or accounting software.
Here’s a look at some of the major benefits offered by the use of cloud applications:
- Cloud services are very easy to manage for businesses providing applications to number of users across different locations.
- Another advantage offered by cloud computing is the simplified disaster recovery that it offers. While the average disaster recovery time for businesses that did not use the cloud was 8 hours, this was reduced to 2 hours through the use of cloud applications.
- A significant amount of time and resources spent on managing on-line security can be saved through the use of cloud computing. This is because cloud hosting companies carry out automatic security updates and server maintenance.
- The start-up costs involved in cloud computing are minimal, since this is essentially a pay-as-you-go service. Switching to cloud applications is a quick process with predictable ongoing expenditure, making these ideal for SME projects.
- These applications offer an increased amount of collaboration and coordination among employees. It is possible for workers to sync the data they are working on, and work on apps of documents simultaneously. This form of collaboration technology is found to boost productivity at the workplace by a whopping 400%.
- Through the use of cloud-based applications, employees can work from anywhere where they have internet connectivity. This helps businesses to offer flexibility in work schedules, and work-from-home options, which are desirable to achieve a work-life balance and hence have higher productivity.
- Cloud applications make it possible for people in different time zones and locations to work on the same document simultaneously. It eliminates the need to send the document back and forth through email, with a different name each time. Instead, the document is stored at one central location, helping in a higher level of collaboration.
- All the data remains stored in the cloud, which means that businesses do not have to worry about losing important data if the device on which it was stored gets stolen.
Centex Technologies develop cutting edge software applications for its clients. For more information, call us at - (972) 375-9654
In an interesting feature introduced by Google, business owners can now merge their Google Plus business page with their Google Places listing. While this may sound a little confusing because of the similar names, it is actually as simple as merging any of your social network profiles with your Google Places listings. This means that whenever anyone views your listing on Google Places, you can further market your business through your Google Plus business page. Interestingly, Google allows you to merge only if you have a physical address where you service your customers. Here is a step-by-step guideline on how to carry out this merge:
- The first step is to of course, create a new Google Plus page if you don’t already have one. Start by clicking on the Google+ link at the far left of your Google account. Next, click on the Pages icon, and then on “Create New Page”.
- It is important to select the “Local Business or Place” in the next page that pops up, since you shall not be able to merge unless you choose this option.
- Pay special attention while entering your phone number. You want to make sure that it is a local phone number, and the same one as is listed on your Google Places profile.
- Upon entering the same phone number as that in your listing, you will see a pop-up from Google saying that it has found a matching phone number. This should be your Google Places listing.
- Next, click on this listing and enter your actual business name and website, and then click on continue.
- The final step is to click on the “Verify Now” button, and finally on the blue “Request postcard” button. This is the only option for Google Places-Google Plus merges.
- The postcard usually takes around 7-10 days to arrive. Once you receive it, you need to click the “Enter PIN” button to complete the verification. You can request another PIN if you do not receive the postcard in 14 days.
- Once your Google Places listing is merged with your Google Plus business page, you can make the most of this merge by uploading a cover image, writing a longer business description, and including links. Add to this your reviews and social updates all being listed on one page, and you have the much-needed competitive edge for your business.
Centex Technologies provide SEO, Google Places Optimization and Internet Marketing Services to its clients across Dallas and Killeen areas in Texas. Call Centex Technologies today at (972) 375-9654.