26. September 2020 12:55
Defining SLAM Technology:
SLAM stands for Simultaneous Localization And Mapping. The technology understands its physical surroundings through the feature points. This allows AR applications to recognize 3D objects and instantly track the surroundings for overlaying digital interactive augmentations.
SLAM technology can be defined as a technology that allows a robot or device to create a map of its surroundings and set its orientation within the map in real-time. For a better understanding, break down the term. It leads to two key terms – Localization & Mapping.
- Localization – Find the location of some object/sensor with reference to its surroundings.
- Mapping – Map the layout and framework of the environment that the device is placed in.
The technology makes use of advanced algorithms that are capable of localizing and mapping the objects simultaneously.
How Does SLAM Technology Work?
SLAM technology collects visual data from the physical world with help of numerous sensors installed in the device. The data is collected in the form of reference points. These points make it easier for the machines or robots to distinguish between floors, walls or any other barriers. As the device moves around in the environment, new measurements are continuously taken. The SLAM technology takes care of any possible inaccuracies in the measurements by factoring in ‘Noise’.
This data is then converted into machine language that can be easily interpreted by the machines.
Implementations Of SLAM Technology:
- SLAM AR is actively being implemented in place of the traditional marker-based technology. The traditional approach required a digital image. The camera had to be pointed at the digital image for enjoying the AR experience. However, SLAM AR rules out the requirement for a digital image by locating and mapping the surroundings in real time for a better AR experience.
- Autonomous vehicles define another major implementation of SLAM technology. These self-driving vehicles are equipped with roof-mounted LIDAR (Light Imaging Detection And Ranging) sensors. These sensors create a 3D map of the surroundings and augment it over the existing Google maps. These readings are fed into a statistical algorithm for making driving-related decisions. The fast locating and mapping speed of the sensors makes them an ideal choice for fast moving vehicles.
- SLAM technology has also found implementation in robotics. The technology is being used to create automatic robots and UAVs (Unmanned Aerial Vehicles) such as drones. This technology can be extensively used in a wide variety of field robots such as robots used for exploring other planets, agriculture robots, etc.
- A GPS tracking system may not be highly efficient indoors or in big cities with obstructed view of sky. These problems may be solved by implementing visual SLAM technology as it does not require satellite information. Instead, it takes accurate measurements of the world around it to create a real-time map.
For more information on SLAM technology and its uses, call Centex Technologies at (972) 375 - 9654.
22. September 2020 12:55
IT has a major impact on the way a business operates. However, IT trends keep evolving in an unexpected fashion. As the new stage of digital evolution knocks on our doors in 2020, the new IT trends such as emotionally intelligent interfaces and hyper-intuitive cognitive capabilities promise to transform businesses in unpredictable ways. New IT trends open new opportunities for businesses to expand their market and user base.
Here is a list of business IT trends of 2020 to help you architect business systems that are designed to respond to new age IT trends:
- Artificial Intelligence: AI is not a new trend but it keeps widening its parameters. AI has now found applications in different fields of business operations. The latest AI business trends include smart assistants, chatbots and self driving cars. In 2020, AI can be experienced in every digital market; from cybersecurity to healthcare.
- Edge Computing: With an increase in the number of devices connected to the internet and each other, there has been an increase in demand on server infrastructure. The demand is even higher for video camera-based services that require constant video streaming. This has laid the pathway for edge computing. Edge computing is a computing network where computing is done at or near the data source to reduce the processing time. Video providers can benefit from this trend for reducing server costs and adding core functionalities that were not previously possible.
- Autonomous Vehicles: While it may take some time for the autonomous vehicles to carve a niche in the market, they seem to be a promising upcoming trend in B2B and consumer markets. This trend is sure to have an impact on the way automobile businesses operate as they will have new investment opportunities such as manufacturing of autonomous vehicles and developing new services/features that cater to health, entertainment, comfort, and productivity of the person being driven in the autonomous vehicle.
- 5G: 5G is being hailed as the base of new business revolution due to the speed and capabilities it promises. It has led to new investment opportunities for carriers and mobile device manufacturers. Additionally, it promises to enhance the surfing capabilities of the users thus, allowing businesses to offer applications with more features, plug-ins and usability.
For more information on Web Applications for enterprises, call Centex Technologies at (972) 375 - 9654.