4. July 2011 03:13
No matter your business is small scale or large scale, there is a need to provide the computer networks in order to provide confidentiality, reliability and efficiency to the work process. All the requirements should be carefully assessed if you want to create a secure and reliable network.
Given here are two main types of computer networks for small businesses.
Peer to peer network
Peer to peer is a computer networking approach that allows all the computers to share an equal responsibility for data processing. Computers in a peer network have the same networking software and protocols. Peer networks are also situated in close physical proximity, such as in schools, homes and small businesses.
- A peer to peer network is very cost effective.
- It utilizes the built-in networking capacity of operating system. It does not require any special software.
- It allows the sharing of printer, files and numerous other resources among various computers. It allows easy data sharing in both the directions, either download or upload.
- Peer to peer computer networks depend upon the employee’s knowledge of computer. The files and data cannot be accessed if the employee has turned the computer off.
- Data and network security are very weak.
- Updating the Widows and antivirus software needs to be done manually on each computer. Thus, it is very time consuming.
Client server networks
The client server network utilizes a centralized server as well as special networking software. This server is used only to run server tasks and store files. The clients are the computers that are linked to the server and would be used by the employees of the company.
- All the shared files are stored by the server for every user.
- File backups can be scheduled for the mid night, thus, avoiding network interruptions.
- The server also ensures user security.
- The server also manages email routing, internet access, Windows and antivirus updating.
- The implementation of a client server network is pricier than a simple computer network.
- The installation charges and the cost of software for the server network also adds to overall cost of system.
- In case the server goes down, it will have an effect on the entire network.
Thus, both types of computer networks have their own benefits and limitations. Make your choice carefully depending upon the number of employees in your company, how much knowledge they have about computers and your budget to implement the network.
For complete Networking Solutions, Feel free to contact us at Centex Technologies.
Web Development Dallas - Website Design Dallas Tx