Given here are some common mistakes that must be avoided while developing web applications:
- Incomplete Input Validation: Validating user input on both the client side and server side is a must to keep your application protected against hacking attacks. Some of the most common consequences of an inconsistent input validation are buffer overflow, remote file inclusion, SQL injection and cross-site scripting attacks. Though implementing validation can be time consuming, it will help to set clear standards for the type of data your application should accept as well as its minimum and maximum length.
- Injection Flaws: These may be a result of failing to filter unreliable input. When any form of unfiltered data is passed to the browser, SQL or LDAP server, the hacker can easily inject malicious codes into these elements, leading to a security breach. To prevent this, all the data received by an application must be from credible sources and should be filtered.
- Storing Passwords In Plain Text: Failing to secure user login credentials is another common mistake made by web application developers. User names and passwords should never be stored in plain text. Rather, they should be properly encrypted and stored in a secure database that is accessible to only a restricted number of employees.
- Cross Browser Incompatibility: Many web developers use only one web browser during the development phase and fail to test its compatibility with other browsers. Though cross-browser testing at every stage of development can be time consuming, you can fix this issue by switching to a different browser after every few days. You should avoid using a browser specific code as well as statistics to justify not supporting any particular browser.
- Not developing for different screen sizes: Developing responsive web applications has become the need of the hour. Increase in the number of smartphone and tablet users have transformed the way of accessing online content. Hence, in order to ensure an easy access to content and seamless navigation, developers should make sure to optimize the apps for different screen sizes.
We, at Centex Technologies, provide complete web development services to the business firms in Dallas, TX. For more information, feel free to call us at (972) 375 – 9654.