Since inception of Virtual Private Network (VPN), the technology is widely used in business firms to provide a secure and convenient way to connect distant employees and remote offices. VPN makes it easy for the users to share files, folders and other important data over the internet, without any form of protocols or permissions required.
If you are planning to use virtual private network for your business, given below are some of the pros and cons that you should consider:
- Pro: VPN offers a high level of security while accessing the internet. It uses advanced authentication and encryption protocols to safeguard your data from unauthorized access by the hackers.
- Con: Deployment of a VPN technology can be quite complex for any business. You need to hire a dedicated IT staff who has complete knowledge of VPN configuration, network or security issues that may arise and the best way to deal with them.
- Pro: Virtual private networks are quite scalable when it comes to accommodating the growing demands of a company. As your business expands and opens offices in multiple locations, you do not need separate lines to connect all of them. You simply need to connect to the already configured VPN to access the corporate network.
- Con: If you need to add infrastructure to the VPN, it may lead to certain technical issues, particularly if you switch to another service provider. Combining VPN products from two different vendors may cause problems in compatibility while using equipment from the same provider may increase your expenses.
- Pro: Virtual private networks allow employees and business partners to communicate easily over the internet, irrespective of their geographical location. Expenses related to international calling and long distance communication can be considerably reduced.
- Con: The use of improperly configured internet networks and unsecure devices to connect to the VPN can compromise security of all the connected computer systems. Employees may also connect through wireless hotspots which increases the risk for a potential data breach.
Despite these pros and cons, VPN offers the most viable solution for remote users to communicate securely. However, businesses need to focus on addressing the minor glitches in order to capitalize on this technology.
If you are planning to configure VPN in your company’s internal network, Centex Technologies can provide complete IT support. For more information, you can call us at (972) 375 – 9654.