When designing the user interface for a mobile app, it is important that you consider a number of important aspects such as the clarity of UI, stability in viewing one screen to the next etc. However, there are many other concerns that are often overlooked but can seriously impact the performance of your app.
Given below are some of the tips that can help you design a user friendly interface for your mobile app:
- Targeted Users: Different users tend to have distinct levels of expertise. For instance, expert users might have memorized the contents of the app and are likely to navigate quickly. On the other hand, novice users may navigate cautiously and are prone to making errors or accidentally tapping the wrong buttons. The user interface of your app should be effectual enough to accommodate the needs of both types of users.
- Ideal Button Size: In most apps, the button sizes are usually kept according to the size of a finger. Thus, they are not large enough to be touched by the thumb, which is preferred by many users. While designing the UI, it must be made sure that the buttons are of sufficient sizes and have enough gaps between them to be touched without any error.
- Use Popular Icons: There are a number of standard icons such as a cross sign (X) to close an application or two parallel lines (II) to pause a media file. Implementing such common icons in your app’s UI will make it easier to operate. However, if you want to design new symbols, you must explain its function alongside the icon.
- UI Location: Usually, the elements of an app’s user interface are either placed at the bottom or the top. Considering how most users hold their phones, it is ideal to keep the app buttons at the bottom of the screen. The more important and frequently used buttons should be placed at the bottom right corner for easy accessibility.
- Keep It Simple: The more complex an app is, more difficult it will be for the users to navigate. Do not overload the app with so many features that it becomes confusing. Instead, you can consider breaking it into a set of interrelated apps, each focusing on a specific set of features.
For more information about designing user interface for mobile apps in Dallas, TX, contact Centex Technologies at (972) 375 – 9654.