With more than 300 million users, LinkedIn provides a networking opportunity for business professionals across the world. However, just like other social media platforms, LinkedIn also has its own set of security issues. It is important that you protect your account in order to safeguard your information and avoid spoiling your online reputation.
Given below are some tips to protect your LinkedIn profile:
- Update Your Privacy Settings: Make sure you review your privacy settings to keep a check on the information you want to share with your connections. For instance, you should turn off your activity broadcasts if you do not want to display updates about the changes you made to your profile. You can also change the visibility settings for your profile picture, connections and other professional details.
- Opt For Two Step Verification: LinkedIn allows its users to activate two step verification for their accounts. This offers a higher level of protection and prevents the incidence of identity theft and unauthorized account access by the cybercriminals. When you choose two step verification, you will be required to enter the password, along with a numeric code sent to your phone when logging in from an unrecognized device.
- Verify Your Connections: You should connect only with the people you know. Adding unknown connections or merely acquaintances puts your account information at risk. Cybercriminals use fake accounts to connect to entrepreneurs and gain access to their business information that can be further used for malicious purposes. Therefore, if you receive a connection request on LinkedIn, make sure you verify the profile to check if anything seems to be suspicious.
- Change Your Password Frequently: It is recommended to follow the best password practices to safeguard your LinkedIn account from unauthorized access. Create a strong password that includes random letters, numbers and symbols. You should use different passwords for all your online accounts and change them after every few months.
- Check Third Party Apps Connected To Your Account: Be watchful about the apps you have authorized to connect with your LinkedIn account. These can access all your confidential data and hence, you must review the apps that you have permitted. Deactivate all the apps that you do not recognize or use anymore.
For more information on LinkedIn and social media security tips, feel free to contact Centex Technologies at (972) 375 – 9654.