Hacking has always been a matter of concern for the internet users. Cybercriminals are constantly trying to breach confidential data, passwords and other information. Considering the prevalence of security attacks, it is not irrational to assume that almost 9 out of 10 people will be a victim of identity theft once in their lifetime. If you are a business owner, you might want to make sure that all the information related to your employees and clients is totally secure.
Here are some of the cyber security tips to safeguard your information:
- Create Strong Passwords: Most of the hacking attacks are carried out with stolen passwords. Thus, it is important to create a password that consists of uppercase, lowercase letters, numbers as well as special characters. Passwords with a combination of all these elements are usually hard to crack. You should also change your passwords at frequent intervals.
- Avoid Using Personal Information In Passwords: Although passwords containing personal information like name and date of birth are easy to remember, it makes them much easier to hack. This information is widely available on Google and social media platforms that can be easily found by the hackers.
- Turn Off GPS And Wi-Fi Services: Keep your smartphones and laptops secure by turning off Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and GPS when you do not need them. This way, no one will be able to detect your location.
- Delete Unused Apps: If you have a lot of apps on your smartphones/ tabs that you do not use often, make sure you delete them. You must also replace the apps that require access to most of your personal details such as contacts, SMS logs, emails, location etc.
- Keep Your Browser Clean: Prevent yourself from getting spied by frequently clearing browser history, cache, cookies and saved passwords. It saves your personal information from being insecure on your computer, laptop or smartphone.
- Turn Off Geotagging: Some social networking websites display your location along with your photos or posts. You must turn off geotagging to avoid giving out information about the place from where you have taken the pictures.
- Shop Only With Credible Websites: If you are shopping online, make sure the website belongs to a reliable company. All your transactions should be protected by an ‘HTTPS’ browser session. This will make sure that your name, address, passwords, credit card details are going over the internet in an encrypted form.
For more tips on safeguarding your information and other cyber security issues, contact Centex Technologies at (972) 375 – 9654.