30. December 2020 12:10
Jokeroo is a type of ‘Ransomware As A Service’. So, in order to understand Jokeroo, it is first important to understand what is RaaS (Ransomware As A Service). RaaS is a mode of selling the use of ransomware to different affiliates.
The developer creates the ransomware and a payment site. The affiliates can sign up on the payment site. Once signed up, these affiliates help in distributing the ransomware to different victims. The ransom collected from the victims is then split between the developer and the affiliate.
Features Of Jokeroo RaaS:
- In order to spread infection via Jokeroo ransomware, the developers distribute the ransomware via developers of other programs as well.
- Jokeroo acts as a RaaS that offers membership packages to its affiliates. The services available to the affiliates depend upon the membership tier.
- Once signed up, the affiliates gain access to dashboard of Jokeroo RaaS platform. The dashboard will show the membership level of the affiliate, list of victims, when they were infected, and if the victim has paid the ransom or not.
- Affiliates can also look deeper to check the victim list and their IP address. The list also includes information such as Windows version and geographic location.
- Jokeroo RaaS allows the affiliates to create their customized ransom notes.
How To Remove Jokeroo Ransomware?
If the victim has working backup of the infected files or is never going to try and recover the lost files, then the simple ways to remove Jokeroo ransomware are to:
- Scan the computer with one or more antivirus and anti-malware programs
- Reinstall the operating system
In case the victim needs to recover the encrypted files, victims can try to decrypt the files or use methods of file recovery.
- Restore From Backup: If regular backups have been made on a separate device, then the victim can easily recover the files after running antivirus and antimalware scans to remove the ransomware.
- File Recovery From Cloud Storage: Even if the encrypted files have been synced to the linked cloud storage, a number of cloud services retain the older versions of altered files for some days.
- Recover Shadow Volume Copies: Volume Shadow Copy Service is a Windows technology that creates snapshots of the computer files on a regular basis and allows to revert any changes made on those files.
For more information on Jokeroo, call Centex Technologies at (972) 375 - 9654.