VPN is an abbreviation for Virtual Private Network. A Virtual Private Network allows to establish a safe and encrypted connection to access the public internet securely. VPN hides the user’s online identity by real-time encryption of the traffic sent or received over the internet. This makes a VPN more secure than a private WiFi hotspot.
How Does VPN Work?
In order to understand how VPN works, let us first understand the path followed by data when a user accesses the internet.
When a user sends a request to a website over internet, the data is sent or received via Internet Service Provider (ISP). Any request sent by the user is first redirected to the ISP server and then transmitted to the online service or website. Similarly, data sent by the website in response to the user request is first sent to the ISP server, which then sends it to the user. Thus ISP server has details pertaining to user’s identity, browsing history, online communications, etc. Hackers can also gain access to these details by targeting ISP servers.
VPN acts as a tunnel that bypasses ISP server. When user connects to internet via VPN, the traffic between the user and internet is sent via secure server of the VPN instead of the ISP server. VPN server acts as source server for the user. This can be understood in a stepwise manner.
- User sends data to a website.
- The data is received by the VPN server.
- VPN server sends the data to internet.
- Traffic received from internet is received by VPN.
- VPN then serves the traffic to user.
As a result of the process, the user has no direct interaction with the internet. This keeps user’s identity and internet surfing history private. Additionally, VPN encrypts the traffic to ensure further security in case the server is hacked.
What Are The Uses Of VPN?
VPN can be used for a wide array of purposes:
- Staying Anonymous Online: ISPs can keep an eye on your online activity including services or products you search for. This information holds high value on dark web. Using a VPN for online activity helps in keeping your credentials and online activity hidden and secured.
- Ensure Security On Public WiFi: Public WiFi are not secured and lack data security configurations. Low security makes it easier for hackers to compromise the WiFi and eavesdrop on the traffic moving across the server. Using VPN when accessing internet over public WiFi helps in ensuring data and credentials security.
- Data Security: Comparable to ISPs, many apps collect user data and sell it to marketing agencies. Using a VPN prevents apps from attributing data to user’s IP address, thus, ensuring data security.
- Content Access: Content streaming platforms might publish some content for targeted locations only. For example, some shows might not stream outside US. However, users can use a VPN to mask their location and access geo-blocked content irrespective of their physical location.
To know more about VPN or how to securely browse internet, contact Centex Technologies. You can contact Centex Technologies at Killeen (254) 213 - 4740, Dallas (972) 375 - 9654, Atlanta (404) 994 - 5074, and Austin (512) 956 – 5454.
The number of employees working from home on a full-time or part-time basis has increased in the past few years. With the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic, this number has increased many folds. Although it is the need of time but working from home poses some challenges such as lack of face-to-face supervision, lack of access to information, distractions at home, sense of being left out, security breach, etc. This is exerting pressure on businesses to implement effective remote work strategies to tackle the challenges/risks and improve the efficiency of the workforce.
Here are some tips for implementing a successful remote work strategy:
- Structured Daily Check-In: Remote managers should make it a point to establish a daily call with the remote employees. It may be an individual or team call based on the nature of individual work (whether the remote workers operate independently or in a collaborative manner). The aim of the call should be to provide a forum to the employees where they can discuss any work-related concerns and get an effective solution. The call can also be used as a platform to discuss daily goals and progress to keep a tab on productivity.
- Provide Different Communication Technologies: Making use of different communication technology options can be imperative for a successful remote work strategy. Businesses should consider a video conference for maintaining a personal interaction between the employees. The video conference technology may be used for conducting complex or sensitive communications. The organizations can also make use of mobile-enabled individual messaging functionalities for handling simpler, less formal, or time-sensitive conversations. However, remote managers should make it a point to consult the IT department of the organization before making use of any communication tool to ensure data security.
- Lay Out Ground Rules Of Engagement: Lay out clear rules to maintain uniformity of engagement channels among the remote employees. The rules should discuss the mode of communication to be used based on the nature of communication. It is also important to state a fixed time for team meetings and video conferences. Once the rules are set, the managers should monitor the communications to ensure that the employees are adhering to the rules and sharing information as per the directives.
- Educate Employees On Data Access And Sharing Policies: A key challenge in implementing a remote work strategy is to ensure data security. So, remote managers should collaborate with the IT department to lay out strict data access, data sharing, and user login policies. Educate the employees about the data policies, data breach, ways to detect a cyber attack, etc. A good approach is to organize webinars for the team to provide the required information and acquaint the employees with the security protocols.
For more information on ways to implement a successful remote work strategy, call Centex Technologies at (972) 375 - 9654.