Data science is a field of study that combines domain expertise, programming, mathematics and statistics to extract meaningful information from data. Cyber security and data science are two rapidly growing fields of computer science. Data science can be integrated with cyber security to develop cybersecurity data science.
The important question that arises is: Why Should Data Science Be integrated With Cyber Security?
Here are some reasons to answer this question:
- Hackers make use of more sophisticated techniques (including Artificial Intelligence) than ever to perform cyber attacks.
- Big data regarding cyber security grows and changes at a fast pace.
- The junk of big data needs to be converted into information for being useful.
- In order to formulate an effective cyber security protocol, it is important to understand ‘how’ of an attack in addition to ‘what’.
Once the reasons for integrating cyber security with data science are understood, it is required to understand how to integrate cyber security with data science. Easiest way to do so is to make use of data science for three basic tasks:
- Classification: It is the step of using data science practices for predicting data labels for a set of data being studied.
- Regression: The goal of regression is to study if different factors effect each other, and if yes, then to what extent. A simple example of integrating data science regression techniques in cyber security is to discover suspicious HTTP requests.
- Clustering: Clustering techniques attempt at sorting the big data into various groups based on data points that resemble one another. It includes analysis of a new found threat to decide the category it belongs to. A practical example of clustering techniques in cyber security is to identify if user credentials have been stolen.
The next important question that needs to be answered is – What is the benefit of integrating cyber security with data science?
Integration of cyber security with data science helps in tackling cyber threats at a faster pace and with higher efficiency. Here are some benefits of integrated cyber security data science:
- Data science techniques enable computers to use and adapt various algorithms based on cyber security data they receive, learn from it, and understand the required consequent enhancements.
- Biometric authentication and user recognition patterns help in reducing the chances of identity theft.
- Integrating data science helps in detecting and preventing phishing attacks by detecting anomalies in behavior.
For more information on integration of cyber security with data science, contact Centex Technologies at Killeen (254) 213 - 4740, Dallas (972) 375 - 9654, Atlanta (404) 994 - 5074, and Austin (512) 956 – 5454.