17. April 2017 17:39
Choosing the right storage solution for your company’s data can sometimes be a complex decision. It is important that you gain a deep insight into all the options available to determine the one that will be most suitable for your virtual environment. The technology will depend upon the following factors:
- The type of data you want to store
- Your budget
- Usage pattern
- Scaling concerns
Discussed below are the two main types of data storage, Network Attached Storage and Storage Area Network.
Network Attached Storage (NAS)
NAS involves the use of TCP/IP protocol, such as Ethernet, to connect to the network. An external device is attached to the web servers through a LAN or WAN. NAS devices usually run on a built-in operating system and management interface. Employees can easily access the files stored on the NAS just as they are on a local hard disc.
- Installation of NAS devices is very easy and does not require much time. In case you are in an urgent need for additional storage, NAS is your best option.
- As file serving and storage is not handled by the web server, it reduces downtime to a great extent.
- The NAS system is quite flexible and can work efficiently in organizations that work with different operating systems.
- The low capital investment makes it a good choice for small to medium sized businesses.
- The scope of NAS devices is limited. They are only suitable for sharing files over the network.
- The performance of NAS devices depends a lot on the network quality. Therefore, you need to get extended bandwidth while deploying a NAS solution.
Storage Area Network (SAN)
SAN is a more complex technology that connects to the network through a fiber channel or SCSI (Small Computer System Interface) protocol. The files are managed centrally and can be shared between multiple computer systems.
- SAN offers a high level of scalability. You can add as many storage drives you need to keep your data secure.
- It is a suitable option if you require reliable storage solution to handle large volumes of data.
- SAN system allows multiples users to access the files seamlessly, without any slowdown or downtime.
- The requirement of specialized equipment increases the upfront cost of installing a SAN system.
- There is an increased risk of data corruption if several host machines connect to the same SAN device.
For more tips on choosing the right network storage solution for your organization, feel free to contact Centex Technologies at (972) 375 – 9654.